Saturday, February 27, 2010

Swimming pool deck is new, treated, still causing splinters. Is there a wood treatment/paint you use?

We have a deck that is 2 years old, I treat it with the best water proofing stain and it still is starting to splinter. It's in direct sunlight all day in VA. HOT SUN. I'm trying to come up with a paint/sand mix or perhaps put down the rubber mats they use on playgrounds? Has anyone had experience with this? I would like to avoid getting that plastic wood stuff at $20 a board.Swimming pool deck is new, treated, still causing splinters. Is there a wood treatment/paint you use?
Not knowing the deck size or your budget, I'll suggest, first of all that you will never stop the degradation of WOOD, no matter the ';treatment';





I do however, have a couple of suggestions. You allude to them in the Q.





I'd go to a commercial Restaurant supplier and price kitchen mats. OR I have often used what looks like spun/extruded, vinyl, kinda woven mat. It allows drainage, allows drying, is easy to clean, does not hurt bare feet, and often comes in more than just Black. The product I used to use came in 6 ft wide rolls, and was easy to cut.





The end result may be that your cost to cover will be close to replacing with a composite decking material. IE: the reason I suggest . Clearly define the high traffic areas, and look for mats that will be useable in those areas.





Rev. StevenSwimming pool deck is new, treated, still causing splinters. Is there a wood treatment/paint you use?
After 2 years it should not be splintering, the best you can do without replacing with qaulity materials is buy or rent a belt sander and go over it in both directions, then apply a good sealer good as in you get what you pay for.

No comments:

Post a Comment