Saturday, February 27, 2010

Can you paint over laminated wood?

We've inherited some ugly laminate wardrobes, my mum said I could paint them but that I'd need a primer or some sort of base coat that will allow paint to dry on the laminate, does anyone know what I need to get?Can you paint over laminated wood?
If you go into B%26amp;Q and such like, you can buy special paint for laminates.


I was given 2 hideous brown bedside cabinets, I rubbed them down for the paint to key, and painted them a pale blue. Changed the door handles and the transformation is complete, and very good they look too.


The paint is made by Ronseal. It is called ' One Coat Paint for Melamine and MDF'.


The colours are a bit limited to white,pale blue,sage green, black etc.


IAnother idea to bring life back to ugly old wardrobes, is to wallpare them.


Find a wallpaper you like and cover them and varnish it afterwards to protect. You could staple fabric over them as wellCan you paint over laminated wood?
It would be helpful to us if you defined ';laminate';





Certainly a WOOD veneer; laminated over sub strate wood; is paintable; with the proper PREP.





If the laminate is MICA; you ';CAN'; do; but I promise you'll be dissatisfied over any long term.





Steven Wolf
You can get primers that would bond onto surfaces like laminate. Look for primers for kitchen cupboards/units, or for use on enamel.





There are also 1 coat paints for difficult surfaces, also designed for use on kitchen units. I do believe Dulux and Crown have a range. See the links:
yes though which product would need to be researched. also what is laminated furniture frames etc. etc. also watch the lead paint stuff if you have small children.
If the surface is clean and dry any spray paint will change the color of the unit.I would not waste my time with a prime coat.Just pick ';YOUR'; color and spray it in a well ventilated room.
The surfaces have to go cleanly(well) and were grease-free, then to me to very fine sandpaper enliven and I would take from water-dis solvable lacquer.


-

No comments:

Post a Comment