Thursday, February 25, 2010

How can I easily paint over a wood stained headboard for my daughter's bed?

This is an older headboard, which right now has an old, dark brown finish. I would like to make painting this headboard an easier task since I don't have a lot of time to do this type of thing and I absolutely hate the idea of having to sand it down. I am planning to paint it white so I definitely do not want the dark finish to bleed through. Any ideas?How can I easily paint over a wood stained headboard for my daughter's bed?
Lightly sand and apply one coat of Sherwin Williams Oil based Problock Odorless Primer/Sealer. Let it dry and the apply 2 coats of an acrylic semi-gloss paint like Sherwin Williams Classic 99.





Painting Contractor 17 yearsHow can I easily paint over a wood stained headboard for my daughter's bed?
Prime with Kilz or Zinnser to sop bleeding.The piece should be cleaned first, and TSP in water is recommended. Sanding LIGHTLY before coats is a must, it gets rid of small lint particles or other that may become attached to the piece.


Easy.
You would have to strip it for the paint to adhere. I would take it to a furniture dipper and have them do it quickly if cost effective.
Wash it well and make sure there is no grease on it. Buy a couple of cans of good spray outdoor paint like rustoleum and spray paint it. you may have to do 2 coats.


There are no guarantees if your little one is a toy tosser and a bed jumper that you won't get chips or blurbs but you should be able to fix with a quick squirt.
Kilz paint comes in a spray can. So spray the headboard first then spray it with the color you want the headboard to be. Wear gloves to avoid paint on fingers and don't rush to avoid drips. Allow Kilz to dry for about 30 minutes. Paint to dry for a couple hourrs in the sun.
Use a primer like Kilz to cover the old colour, then paint it white.. you can also leave it Killz white if you wanted, it's pretty darned white.
First clean it with paint thinner to remove any old furniture wax or polish. Then lightly sand the whole thing.





I would use an oil based primer then paint with an oil based paint.





It is more work and it takes longer to dry but it will be a much more durable finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment