Tuesday, February 23, 2010

How do you remove years (layers) of paint from wood without damaging it.?

I would like to show the beauty of the wood that's part of my old house (dated before 1940's) I'm in the process of removing paint from it. It's time-consuming though. I was wondering if anyone knows of a method that is quicker and cost-efficient. Currently, I'm using paint stripper. Are there any other options?How do you remove years (layers) of paint from wood without damaging it.?
The same way I get rid of my heel callouses, with coarse sandpaper then fine...How do you remove years (layers) of paint from wood without damaging it.?
Use Acetone. The bottom line is no matter what you use it will still be alot of work.
There is a really good jell based paint remover that will eat through it. (I used it but forget the name of it). Call your local true value hardware store and ask the owner. Do not go to wal-mart or other places like that. Find a small local hardware store owned by someone that lives in town. They are the general stores of the 2000's and can help you.
acitone works great. recently refinished a 1906 wood bureau and it turned out great!
Stripper is the best way. You could use a palm sander but this will also take away the color mostly. There is a stipper that is called Dad's Easy Strip or something like that. You can purchase it from Walmart. It is more expensive than other stippers normally but it works 100 times better. Trust me! I have used many and this brand is well worth the extra money. You apply it with a brush. Allow it to sit for a few minutes then wipe it away. You may also use a toothbrush to help to losen the gunk before wipping. You MUST use gloves with this product though. Good luck!
paint remover
unfortunately thats the safest method, a scraper or power washer will only mar the wood
use Cathedral Stone's S-301 or S-302 paint stripper. It's water based and won't etch the wood. Or you can use Prosoco's Safety Peel 1,2 or 3.
I don't know. Never done it before
Paint stripper will work. Another method you can use is a power washer. It will help take off a lot of the loose paint.
Paint stripper is probably your best option. I am doing the same in my home (dated 1910) It is time consuming but worth the work. Make sure you sand also.
heat gun and scraper
Try Ready-Strip. It's cheap and safe, non-toxic, and works great.





http://www.ibacktonature.com

No comments:

Post a Comment