Thursday, February 25, 2010

I am getting ready to paint an unfinished wood toy for my grandson, what sort of paint should I use?

I considered using 'kills' as a base paint then stopped short of actually using it, is an oil base coat going to be harmful? should I just stick with latex? acrylic? and what kind of sealer should I use?I am getting ready to paint an unfinished wood toy for my grandson, what sort of paint should I use?
Acrylic. It is water based, non-toxic and takes well to wood. Seal it with gel medium or decoupage glueI am getting ready to paint an unfinished wood toy for my grandson, what sort of paint should I use?
You should use an acrylic paint. You can find ones at walmart or michaels. The apple barrel craft paints are $.44 at walmart and are fantastic for painting on wood. For sealants there are a few different options. You will have to check out labels and check to make sure they are non toxic. First you could use a sealant called modge podge. It is a glue/sealant, and it will be a shinier coating. Your second choice would be just a spray sealant sold at craft stores. I would recommend nylon brissel brushes. The natural brissells often come out while you are painting. If you want to do a base coat just use a tannish color of paint close to the natural color of the wood. You don't have to do this, if you choose not to, you just have to do an extra coat or 2 of the colors of paint that you have chosen.
what ever you like. Just make sure it does not have a strong smell or peels easily.
Please make sure that it is unleaded. If the paint contains lead and the child chews on it, it could cause lead poisoning. Just ask at any paint store. they do make special paint for kids.
you need something that is non-toxic. I am a gramma and know if you consult with a reliable paint store, they would be able to give you more reliable info . the best toys are the ones we make with love for our grand kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment