Thursday, February 25, 2010

Seniors, are you one of those people who will not paint over wood paneling or cabinets?

Not me...out with the old and in with the new.Seniors, are you one of those people who will not paint over wood paneling or cabinets?
Depends on the wood.It's a sin to paint over walnut, teak, mahogany,cypress,ash and pinellas pine.If it's just 'junk wood' seal it ,primer it and use a good quality urethane ,or a single stage poly-linear urethane.Seniors, are you one of those people who will not paint over wood paneling or cabinets?
I love the look of wood %26amp; the beauty of the grain. I'm a stainer %26amp; a preserver type of a person. It sad to see beautiful wood hidden under paint. It's it's ugly wood...then by all means, paint it! Still, if a person has the time, I think that a pickled wood finish is a beautiful alternative to giving wood a full coverup. I love old houses too much! I enjoy giving ugly wood a new look by the use of different colored stains applied in a pattern...I miss having a house to practice on %26amp; a garage to play in!





Now paneling is a whole different story. If I can't get it off the wall, then I HAVE painted it...but that left me always staring at the darned lines, so I tried wall paper %26amp; they still showed, so I tried grass cloth %26amp; that seemed to cover nicely without having to first fill in the lines with spackle filler in the paneled walls. I don't like paneling one little bit!





I haven't done this type of work for a long time %26amp; I'm just itching to get my hands on some good wood again!
I sort of like a cross between natural cabinets on top and painted ones on the bottom; new hardware and countertops and wainscoating with a chairail where the paneling is. It gives the area a nice crisp look and doesn't look so dated. I even like themes on my cabinet doors. Afterall, this is the house we plan to live the remaining days in. And we want it to be as comfy for us as humanly possible. Great question!!!
I had a new home built 3 years ago and the builder was shocked that I wanted all the woodwork to be stain-grade. He didn't know that some of us think it is nicer than painted wood or plastic. I have gotten a lot of compliments on all the woodwork in my contemporary home.
As for paneling... PAINT it for G--- sakes. If you can't remove it anyway.


Ugly stuff.


Cabinets ya , paint those too.
Good wood, strip, sand and finish it but painting over it, never.





Cheap poopy wood, paint over it.
Lol! No I am not. I just painted some paneling in our entrance way after removing the wallpaper. Wish I could afford to have someone put up drywall instead.
I haven't ever done it but I am not opposed to it. I am thinking of painting my kitchen cabinets.
If I don't like it(like dark woods) I will paint over it.
I'm not a senior and I would save the wood, but I'm a woodworker.
I won't paint over wood or paneling ~ if I want out with the old, I'll get rid of the old wood.
Paint it!








xox:


a future senior
No, I don't like wood paneling and cabinets are stained. Poppy
I have You have to know what your doing Most people don't know a good paint job from a bad one
Nope. I just painted my wood cabinets white, and oh what a difference it made!
That's my landlord's job.

No comments:

Post a Comment